Chocolate roll - reduced sugar
This recipe has been heavily inspired by this gooey one: http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Rotolo-al-cacao-con-crema-al-latte.html
In my version I considerably reduce the quantities of sugar and cocoa powder. I am not a huge fan of sugar rushed kids 😉
Best served with fresh strawberries!
- For the cream:
- 500ml full (or half) fat milk
- 40gr of corn starch
- 1tbsp of honey
- 300ml of whipping cream
- 1tbsp of icing sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsp caster sugar
- 1tbsp honey
- 50gr self-raising flour
- 25gr cocoa powder
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
For the rolling sponge:
- In a pan cook on a medium high heat milk, corn starch and honey until nicely thick.
- Pass the milk mixture in a bowl, cover with clingfilm (making sure the clingfilm will adhere to it to prevent the surface from hardening) and let it cool in the fridge.
- With a wisker whip the whipping ccream and sugar until nicely thick. Cover with clingfilm and place it in the fridge. Rolling sponge
- Whisk together the eggs, sugar, honey and vanilla extract until firmly bubbly and doubled in size.
- Gradually sieve in the flour, the cocoa powder and the bicarbonate of soda with a spatula with slow “8-shaped” movements, to prevent the bubbles to escape.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C traditional setting.
- In a large tray, sprinkle some water and place parchment paper.
- Pour the mixture, making sure it will evenly cover all the surface.
- Cook for 12min and let it cool down.
- Stir the milk mixture to soften it up. Slowly mix it up with the whipped cream.
- Place 3/4 of the cream on the rolling sponge.
- Roll the sponge and close it in its parchment paper.
- Let it rest for 2hrs in the fridge (we never do this step! 😉 ).
- Decorate the top with the left over cream.
- Cut in slices.
Assembling the roll