Indian Flavoured Rice
A very good friend of mine, Shraddha, taught me to make this yellow Indian rice, but I am a very bad student and failed to properly write down everything.
This is my best attempt to reproduce her amazing rice.
I have added two little ingredients: garlic and ginger. Here st home everybody was poorly, so I though od adding these ingredients to boost up our immune system a bit 🙂
- 160gr basmati rice
- 2tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 small garlic clove, grated (my twist to the original recipe)
- 1cm ginger, grated (my twist to the original recipe)
- 1tsp dark mustard seeds
- 1tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2tsp Vandevi
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 cup of green peas
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- salt, pepper and chilli
- Wash the rice
- Bring to the boil a pan with water enough to cover the rice, and cook according to packaging instruction. Add salt to taste and the turmeric (really you are supposed to cook the turmeric with the spicies, but my daughter only wants yellow rice with no tomatoes or peas.. therefore the twist).
- In a frying pan, heat the oil and add mustard and cumin seeds. When the mustard seeds start to pop add the tomatoes, cook for a couple of minutes, with the garlic and the ginger.
- Add the Vadevi, chilli, green peas and cook for one minute.
- Add the lemon juice.
- When the rice is cooked, drain it or let the water dry out at high heat.
- Stir the rice in the frying pan.